Wednesday, April 4, 2012

MLB at Tokyo Dome

Last week, the Mariners and A's came to Tokyo for their Opening Game. Ten and I went to the Boston/A's game 4 years ago and had a great time, so we got tickets as soon as they started selling them.

Here are a few random pics of the game....Ten has a bunch on his phone that are way better but oh well.



First, they did the opening ceremony (pics above). They brought out the U.S. and Japanese flags and did a tribute to the victims/volunteers/survivors of the earthquake. This was really nice, but it really was quite a downer. For the rest of the game between innings they also did something earthquake related.....showing images, people speaking, etc. I kind of think MLB was off on this decision. It just made the whole atmosphere so gloomy and depressing. Those of us living in Tokyo definitely have not forgotten March 11, so I wasn't sure why we needed the constant reminder. I think most people wanted to have a good time and escape reality a little...not relive it.... anyway rant over.




Our seats were actually really nice, and we had a great view of the field. However, they had no backs!! Oh Lord I thought. In all honestly, we only made it to the middle of the 6th inning before I was too tired and we had to leave. Ten was also exhausted since he had just gotten back from Hong Kong a few hours before, so he didn't mind.

I think the funniest part of the game was that none of the fans were cheering for a particular team...instead they were just cheering for Ichiro...haha. I mean it was nice to see him play (since he probably won't be for too much longer), but it was so hilarious that he was the only one to receive any applause. We felt kind of bad for the rest of the players.

Other aspects that I love about baseball games in Japan...the food they sell. Curry, ramen, bentos, etc. It is amazing that people eat these things in the packed seats without spilling it on their neighbor. I so would have made Ten get me something if I hadn't been so tired. ;-)

Also, maybe the most exciting part was that Ten almost caught a ball! He just barely missed...and probably would have gotten it if he hadn't had the camera in his hand....really sad.

Overall, the experience was kind of bleh this year. It was fun, but not quite the same as being back home and cheering for your home team. However, a night out is always a good time! 



1 comment:

  1. I watched a bit of the game on TV but kinda got bored... I guess I should go watch a game at the stadium some day... But I know what you mean about the food!! Unbelievable, eh?! I hope you'll be able to see a "real" game someday soon too!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...