Saturday, September 8, 2012

My New Love....

I have found something that I absolutely love...now not more than the Duggars, but definitely more than let's say...meatloaf...and I really love me some meatloaf.

I have fallen completely in love with...wait for it...the...DICTIONARY. Seriously...who knew there was so much information in it. I'm only half joking. We all know what the dictionary is...but have you ever took the time to look up words in it. I'm not talking about when you have to because you are filling out a form or because someone uses a big word that you don't understand and want to look it up in case they drop that word bomb again....but just to really understand the meaning of a word. Well this is something that I have been doing lately. Whenever I read a book and come across a word that is common and used very frequently because of its positive connotations...then I go ahead and look it up and write down what it means...crazy you may say...but to me it has been really entertaining...and a great learning experience.

So, here are some of my favorite words and definitions:

Discipline: Now I looked up this word because it is Ten's favorite word to use...I mean like ever...he is always talking about discipline and how everyone needs it...sounds scary....but let's look at what it means....training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character....hmm...yeah...maybe everyone could use some more discipline in their lives.

Family: two or more people who share goals and values, have long-term commitments to one another, and reside usually in the same dwelling place....I kind of like this definition of family...I in fact love the part about shared goals and values...because that is what makes a successful family!

Courage: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty....I think using this definition...we may no far more courageous people than we believe.

Diligent: characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort. Hard work isn't just about doing the work...but it is also about doing it energetically...hmmm...maybe there aren't enough diligent people today.

Anyway, the next time you write a greeting card or send out an email like this...

Bill you are such a hard worker and we are happy to have you with us.

Wouldn't it sound better to say this...

Bill you are a steady, earnest, and even better...an energetic worker. We are happy to have you....etc...

So, let's all bust our dictionaries and put words to good use.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...