Sunday, February 3, 2013

Setsubun 2013

While most people were having Super Bowl parties today, we were celebrating Setsubun....and we had so much fun...well me and Ten did...I think poor Mia was mainly just scared and thought we were crazy.

Ten ran down to Times Square today to Sunrise Mart to pick up some goodies for us. He brought back so many great things...including jasmine tea for me...and dorayaki....and he brought me peanut butter cups the day before. I have no idea what I did to get so many great sweets, but I better keep doing it.



I digress. If you aren't familiar with Setsubun, briefly, it is the day where the beginning of spring is brought in by getting rid of evil spirits and letting the good luck in. 

In the morning, Mia finger painted these oni masks, and we hung them up on the door. I was kind of hoping that it would help her get used to them, so she wouldn't freak out too much when we got ready to chase her around the apartment wearing a demon mask...no such luck people...



Later, we presented Mia with her ehomaki, but she decided to share it with us since she couldn't eat it all....and we didn't eat it facing the proper direction...or in silence as one is supposed to...mainly because we just wanted to enjoy it...maybe next time.



Sharing a pre-made bento, ehomaki, homemade miso soup and crab rangoon, with jasmine tea....heaven.


After that, we all put on our homemade oni (demon) horns.


I thought they were super cute and fun...but Mia on the other hand was having none of it...totally freaked out.


Once she got to play with the cute oni....she felt a little bit better.

After her breakdown with us only wearing the horns, we decided it would be a good idea for me to go outside and storm into the apartment as the evil oni so that Ten and Mia could throw beans at me while saying "Oni wa soto, fuku wa uchi!" .... you know.... "Demon out, good luck in!" .... She didn't like it folks. While Ten was throwing beans at me...which I found to be hilarious...seriously being hit by roasted soybeans may be one of the funniest things I've ever done....she had a mini breakdown...so sad. So, we stopped and tried to let her throw beans around...she wanted nothing to do with it. Ten and I quickly munched down our soybeans (according to our age, one bean per year)....and then cleaned up. I actually can't wait until next year because we really did have a lot of fun.

P.S. here is the mask we used for Setsubun...there were cuter ones but we decided to make the hardcore, scary one...hahaha....and yes...made by me, none of those store bought ones this year...looks fantastic if I say so myself.


P.P.S. If our neighbors happened to spot me standing outside with this mask, I'm pretty sure they must think we are part of a Satanic cult.







1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...