Thursday, May 30, 2013

Multitasking

Recently, I have been struggling with something (besides the sickies)....that something is...are you ready.....multitasking. No, I do not want to hone my multitasking skills instead I want to try to eliminate them. Basically, I am trying to ween myself from it.

Multitasking has been causing me to get less done. Sure I can get dinner ready while chatting on the phone or play with Mia while at the same time trying to make my grocery list, but in reality it isn't bringing me the results that I'm looking for.

I find myself not focusing on the task at hand and not doing it to the best of my ability. Also, things take a lot more time to get done when you are doing 20 things at once. Not to mention that when you have a million things on your list and your are trying to race through checking each off....you can definitely get demotivated.

So, these past few days I have been doing one thing at a time. I'm not watching TV while cooking. I'm not grabbing the smartphone at all times of the day, and I think that the next step will be to remove Facebook from my phone all together. It will just be one less thing that I will be tempted to check.

Yesterday my boycott on multitasking allowed me to snuggle up and take a two hour nap with my baby, and you should have seen the smile on her face when she woke up and there I was! 

This morning...I cleaned the apartment, went grocery shopping, worked on Mia's first year photo book, baked homemade cinnamon rolls, read her 5 books, played zoo with her, as well as did things like make breakfast for us and get both of us dressed....oh and blogging...all before 11:00! 

So, to me this is proof that taking things one at a time is the key to keeping me focused and productive....not to mention that I feel much less overwhelmed with all of the tasks that I need to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...