Thursday, September 8, 2011

Taking the Day Off from Housewife Life....

Today I attended my first event as a member of the...are you ready for this because it's a long one....Tokyo Union Church Women's Society (or TUCWS). I decided to join this group because honestly there are few groups in Tokyo for foreign people that aren't shockingly expensive. For instance...always debating to join the Tokyo American Club...but at a $36,000 entrance fee and then monthly fee of $420...it just doesn't seem worth it.

There were two parts to the event. First was class registration where I signed up for two courses: (1)Making obi covered photo frames and (2) Traditional Japanese Wrapping. If you are reading this from outside of Japan, I will explain later what these are when I actually take the courses.
Pictures are always better than words anyway in these situations.


The second part was a ballet performance by the Austrian Ballet Company Tokyo. It was really hard to catch these spindly ballerinas as they twirled around the stage, but here are the best shots that I could get....with the help of a friend might I add

Love these sparkly outfits...though you can't tell from the pictures


Anyway, we will see how the next year goes as a member of this group. To be honest, they were quite disorganized and not as welcoming as I had imagined they would be, but hey I have to at least give it a try to know if it is worth it or not.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds fun and interesting. wow.... thats alot of money to join a group..you did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cameraman mention! Yes, the ballet was "interesting ". But I'm sure you'll enjoy the other activities a lot!! Looking forward to your masterpieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie -- welcome to my newbie blog...I absolutely love your blog by the way and can't wait to make the cinnamon roll cake and the blondies!!

    Kaputanchan -- Thanks again for the photo...by far the best one of the day! Also, thanks for following me by email...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...